Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
rwingsfan
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to jakey217350, 6 months ago

jakey217350 wrote:

I have the K-5II and the Nikon D7000. I use them both almost entirely for sports shooting in continuous shooting mode, so that's where my perspective is coming from in answer to your question.

I started with Pentax equipment in 2008 and bought the D7000 a couple years ago only because I wanted to use the Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 zoom, which is not available in a Pentax mount. I had no complaints about the Pentax equipment I was using, I just wanted the 120-300mm and had no alternative but to buy Nikon (or Canon) equipment if I wanted the lens.

Anyway, the biggest difference for me has been that the D7000 has lower noise at high ISO settings compared to the K-5II. I believe the K-3 has not improved on high ISO noise performance over the K-5II so I think the D7000 would still be the low noise winner vs the K-3.

I think the D7000 still focuses a bit faster in low light comapred to the K-5II also, at least for my purposes. That said, I only purchased the K-5II recently, replacing my K-5, and the K-5II has narrowed the gap between it and the D7000 in low noise and autofocusing performance.

The only other advantage the D7000 has for me compared to the K-5II is that I recently sold my slow focusing DA* 50-135mm and purchased a faster focusing Sigma 50-150mm (non image stabilized) for my D7000 as a replacement lens. Again, the Sigma 50-150 is not available in a Pentax mount, thus forcing my hand. Shooting typically at 1/500 SS or higher, I don't need the image stabilization but the Sigma 50-150mm focuses faster under indoor lighting, which is crucial for me as I shoot a lot of indoor sports.

Otherwise, I generally still like my K-5II and may replace an old K-5 I have with the K-3. The number one advantage of the Pentax DSLRs is the weatherproofing. Shooting outside this is a tremendous advantage when it starts to rain. I've had the Pentax DSLRs out in all sorts of rain (with a DA*) lens and the equipment has never let me down. The D7000 and the Sigma 120-300mm have some water and dust resistance but definitely not to the extent of the K-5II, so I am careful not to subject the non-Pentax equipment to much rain. That is very inconvenient at times.

For sports shooting, the K-5II has a faster frame rate but a much lower capacity buffer compared to the Nikon D7000. I believe the K-3 has improved in this regard.

That's my two cents.

Jay

-- hide signature --

You are kidding right? I just came back to a K5IIs from a D7000 for one (well more than one) reason because the noise at high ISO is not only less on the Pentax, but what there is, is much easier to deal with. I thought the D7000 was very noisy even at lower ISO and the lower the light, the worse it was. And c'mon not showing ISO in the viewfinder, really?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow