Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Mystery Guy
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: off ?
In reply to Mako2011, 4 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

Mystery Guy wrote:

For example, with my 35mm 1.8G, if I start out using Manual mode and F22 (say at 1/6s) to set the exposure, and then just work up through the F-stops keeping the matching exposure (next F16 @ 1/13s, etc.),

f22 and 1/6s is 1/3 stop different from f16 1/13s

the actual results I'm getting seems to be as much as 1 F-stop different across the entire range (between lightest and darkest pictures).

So minor miscalculation might be part of it

So, just trying to take the same image with the same lighting would give a variation based on what F-stop was actually used (even though the camera meter always seemed to say that exposure was 'correct'.).

What increments is your meter set in?

It's currently set to 1/3 stop increments (the default I believe). Maybe what I'm seeing is a metering issue.

For whatever reason, I often see variations where manually adding +0.7 exposure compensation makes things look better to me (in just general picture taking).

I don't know if the following is an expected difference or not, but I quickly took the following two pictures under the same light using Aperture priority and Matrix Metering.

The F22 one seems a shade darker, and if I open the .NEF in Adobe Camera Raw and increase the exposure by 0.7, the two images look a lot closer to each other to me (and have a more similar histogram).

I understand they shouldn't look exactly the same (they are at two very different apertures), but I was hoping that the apparent brightness would be closer. Maybe you can tell me if this is considered an expected amount of variation or not.

Thanks;

F22

F2.8

Mystery Guy's gear list:Mystery Guy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
How?New
spotNew
AlsoNew
TrueNew
sureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow