Minolta 85mm 1.4 bokeh, you got some?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
enemjii
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta 85mm 1.4 bokeh, you got some?
In reply to clarkt, 7 months ago

clarkt wrote:

Funny you should mention this. I have one of these lenses, the original version I bought off of eBay. I recently gave it a thorough workout doing portraits of beauty pageant contestants in Fontana, CA. You can check out my results here:

http://cthompson.zenfolio.com/fontana14

224 images. Camera used: Sony a700

90% of these were using the Minolta 85/1.4, the other 10% were using the Minolta 28-135/4-4.5. You can inspect the EXIF of each photo to make sure which are the 85's by expanding it and click the little Info icon in the upper right of the photo. I did not stop below f/3.2. Mostly tried to keep I around f/3.5, with occasional higher stops. Even at the higher stops I got great bokeh.

My opinion of the bokeh? Outstanding! Very intoxicating.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

Ouch... I apologize but I have never been so shocked looking at pictures of girls. There is something wrong with these pictures. Is it the girls or the lens or is it...you?

Edit: I read your second post and found the reason:

"The shots were the girls' faces are 50% or more of the frame look too puffy to me. In other words, 85mm is not that good for tight head shots. Better suited for head & shoulders."

 enemjii's gear list:enemjii's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow