Flat view
maljo@inreach.com
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,579
Like?
It's a fixer, but we love it!
4 months ago

After all, "location, location, location."

Balcony House, Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado

Here's the dilemma:  I used the D800 + 24-70 f2.8 zoom at 245 mm and f5.6, hand held.  Tripods not allowed.  Visiting this ruin involves a reservation and climbing steep ladders and crawling through narrow tunnels.  I could have gotten just as good an image from a Olympus or Fuji mirrorless, with less weight and size.  In the tunnel, I was proceeding on one hand and two knees, using one hand to hold the camera and keep it from banging on rock.

Image quality from the newer mirrorless cameras is good enough (for me) that image quality is not longer the major deciding factor in purchasing equipment.

Crown Fountain, Chicago, Illinois, Nikon D800 + 24-120 zoom:  f5.6, ISO 1400, 1/500 sec at 120 mm

I think I could be happy using a mirrorless camera for 80% of my images, saving the D800/E for tripod mounted landscapes I might want to print the size of China, and for sports and wildlife.

For cities, ancient and modern, for European vacations, for macros of flowers, for museums, for candids and family, I say pack light.

I have always strived for the best I could be or do or buy.

Now, I'm escaping from the "tyranny of only using the best."  Good enough is good enough.  And it's a lot less expensive.

The next time I visit my fixer mountain chateau I'll be using a smaller camera.  You'll never know the difference.

maljo

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow