Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Leandros S
Contributing MemberPosts: 906Gear list
Like?
Beware of K-3 review discrepancies
4 months ago

Someone just suggested reading the Steve's Digicams review of the K-3, which on its conclusion page has the following segment:

"Burst mode is where we found the biggest disappointment. We were not able to come close to the 8.3fps that Pentax claims is possible. In program mode with ISO auto we achieved 5.33fps and when we upped the ISO to 51200, we reached 6.07fps. This is still very good performance, but quite a bit shy of what the claims are. All of our tests were completed using a Sony UHS-1 (94MB/s) 32GB SDHC memory card, Program mode, ISO auto, Flash off and all other settings at the factory defaults unless noted otherwise."

And thus concludes under "cons":

"Although performance was very good, it did not live up to expectations"

However, Imaging-Resource conducted FPS tests that consistently ranged between 7.07 and 7.12fps regardless of whether premium quality JPEG, RAW, or RAW+JPEG were captured. IR used a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s UHS-I SDHC card.

Whether the difference is due to the cards used or the insistence of Steve to use slightly strange settings (high ISO, forcing RAW NR and larger files due to residual noise) is not clear. I haven't looked into whether Steve uses these settings consistently for other cameras as well, and whether or not he consistently then has to conclude that the performance of the cameras is disappointing... However, I am also curious whether anybody has any educated guesses of why he would see even slower frame rates with auto ISO (unfortunately I did not find where he says what ISO and shutter speed this actually set for him - maybe he'd actually set a slow shutter speed, which would explain the result).

I'm also curious whether Pentax states what settings should be used to achieve 8.3fps.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow