D7100 exposure accuracy?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Mystery Guy
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 exposure accuracy?
In reply to Torben Laursen, 8 months ago

Torben Laursen wrote:

Hi I own a D7100 and have by now shot few thousand photos. I love the camera and it takes stunningly good photos (color/sharpness) But I think it underexposes lightly by - a third to - two third f-stops.

Has anyone had similar "problems" with their D7100? How easy is it to fix? I still have my one year warranty.

Torben

I was recently trying to figure out why the pictures I'm taking with my D7100 (mostly with Matrix Metering) sometimes seemed darker than I expected (maybe by about 0.7 stops or so).

In playing around with some basic tests, I was seeing is variation in results just using the same exposure across the range of F-stops.

For example, with my 35mm 1.8G, if I start out using Manual mode and F22 (say at 1/6s) to set the exposure, and then just work up through the F-stops keeping the matching exposure (next F16 @ 1/13s, etc.), the actual results I'm getting seems to be as much as 1 F-stop different across the entire range (between lightest and darkest pictures).

So, just trying to take the same image with the same lighting would give a variation based on what F-stop was actually used (even though the camera meter always seemed to say that exposure was 'correct'.).

Is yours a constant amount of under exposure, or is it variable?

Mystery Guy's gear list:Mystery Guy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
How?New
spotNew
AlsoNew
TrueNew
sureNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow