D7100 exposure accuracy?

Started Mar 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Mystery Guy New Member • Posts: 15
Re: D7100 exposure accuracy?

Torben Laursen wrote:

Hi I own a D7100 and have by now shot few thousand photos. I love the camera and it takes stunningly good photos (color/sharpness) But I think it underexposes lightly by - a third to - two third f-stops.

Has anyone had similar "problems" with their D7100? How easy is it to fix? I still have my one year warranty.

Torben

I was recently trying to figure out why the pictures I'm taking with my D7100 (mostly with Matrix Metering) sometimes seemed darker than I expected (maybe by about 0.7 stops or so).

In playing around with some basic tests, I was seeing is variation in results just using the same exposure across the range of F-stops.

For example, with my 35mm 1.8G, if I start out using Manual mode and F22 (say at 1/6s) to set the exposure, and then just work up through the F-stops keeping the matching exposure (next F16 @ 1/13s, etc.), the actual results I'm getting seems to be as much as 1 F-stop different across the entire range (between lightest and darkest pictures).

So, just trying to take the same image with the same lighting would give a variation based on what F-stop was actually used (even though the camera meter always seemed to say that exposure was 'correct'.).

Is yours a constant amount of under exposure, or is it variable?

Mystery Guy's gear list:Mystery Guy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow