Needing a long zoom

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: Needing a long zoom
In reply to j_photo, 5 months ago

With a TC-14, 280mm at f/5 (3.5). Through a double pane window, handheld.

With TC-14, 280mm at f/5 (3.5). Same conditions as above.

F/2.8

Hi Chris, I would definitely miss the f/2.8 because I shoot between 2.8 and 4 a lot with the 70-200. I shoot a lot of indoor sports at f/2.8-3.5. I use a TC-14ll with it for a lot of things. There is very slight image degradation with the TC that I can notice at 100% magnification but the lens is so sharp anyway it's not objectionable. It is way sharper with the TC than any of the zoom x-300s at the long end even wide open. The 70-300 is the best of the 300 zooms but it is soft at infinity at the long end.
If I didn't use it so much at f/4 and wider I would look at the 70-200f/4. You use what you can afford and make do, that's how it is. If I could afford a long tele or the 200-400 I would buy one in a minute for birding but for backyard shooting what I have is just fine. With the resolution of the D800 you have the luxury of being able to crop some for reach,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow