Importance of gear ...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902Gear list
Like?
Re: Sure gear matters (with digital)...
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 4 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

With film cameras it didn't matter what body was used since all a camera was, was a timer and a shutter. Use the same film on every camera at the same settings and you get the same result.

With digital though you have a million and one settings which can change the look of an image. Each camera has a different "film"...even different cameras that do use the same sensor can have different images due to different image processors. Even firmware can change an image if it changes how the camera handles the image.

But in more general terms if a camera doesn't feel right in your hands you won't get the best out of it.

For the record I've been shooting for more than 35 years, and have used just about every camera format up to a process camera (it's taller than a person) using 24"x36" sheet film.

Good Lord, a Process Camera? I have never even seen one of those in real life? You don't use film in those but process the actual paper, right? Like a darkroom in a gynormeous box with lens attached?

I started with 6x6 in 1971 but found a Zeiss Icon 35mm camera with removable viewfinder (very cool at the time kind of ground glass capable, but really too small for proper focussing, cool nevertheless.

And I wholeheartedly agree re the right tool in your hand, if the Estwing hammer is not for you, then it is not for you. But if it is then the tool is fabulous!

Applies to all sorts of things in life, some people here haven mentione talent over gear, I am sure that da Vinci would have built his machines using a Coca Cola bottle or his bare hands. A clever mix maybe, as so often, closer to the true thing.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow