Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
j_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
Re: Needing a long zoom
In reply to Chips Pringle, 6 months ago

Chips Pringle wrote:

-- hide signature --

I shoot a Nikon d5200 and a Nikon d800. The first is a crop sensor and the latter full frame. I'm leaning toward buying a f4 70-200 for about $1400.00 plus tax. Money wise I was considering the f4.5-5.6 70-300 for a lot less $ and using it only on my d5200. But with the f4 70-200 I can have better results on both camera bodies. I need it for outdoors, nature, animals, birds, kids and people in general and actual posed portraits. My dilemma is - what do you think between the f2.8 and the f4 70-200's? For the $1000.00 savings will I really miss or need the larger aperture of the 2.8 and it's DOF? I like the idea of having the 300mm focal length on my d5200 body. I will be printing 11x14 or larger from this lens, and from both bodies.
Chip

IMO, forget the 70-300. It's just not in the same league as the other lenses you are considering. And beyond 200 mm it starts to get soft anyway, so what do you really gain with it? I have one sitting in a bag I haven't used in years.

If cost is a major factor you might also look at used earlier versions of the 70-200/2.8 zooms. I picked up a used 80-200/2.8 (AFS) that focuses fast and is just unbelievably sharp. True, it has no VR, but for under $1000, it was a steal.

I have never shot with the new f/4 zoom, so can't speak to that. I shoot a lot of low-light theater and need the wider aperture.

You might also want to keep track of which lenses work with the TC converters. Maybe a 200 mm f/2.8 zoom with a 1.4 or 1.7 converter is what you really need?

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow