E-M1 to A7 movers: What do you miss?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,887Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 to A7 movers: What do you miss?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 9 months ago

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Alex Notpro wrote:

I'm specifically interested in USABILIT Y of these cameras, how they handle in the field, etc...

A7 battery life is miserable vs E-M1

Nothing a spare (or 2) can't solve...

true, however it is still a hassle... and E-M1 is miserable vs Panasonic... and Panasonic is miserable vs dSLRs and those vs all manual film cameras... the point here is - if you make a top level camera with grip - do supply it with a greater capacity battery, as it is not intended to be a pocketable camera.

I do believe the "battery hassle" was a design decision for achieving a small camera size - A wrong belief, if you ask me, as a bigger (and more ergonomic) grip would also allow a bigger battery capacity without much altering the camera size and portability.

It seems these designers forget that just near the grip you have to put a much bigger (and cumbersome) lens...

Anyway, looking at the battery size one can surely predict a very short (miserable, as you call it) battery life...

I miss fully articulated LCD of my pre E-M1 GH3 camera (both in A7 and in E-M1)

I find a dedicated exposure comp in A7 dial totally useless

I guess you don't use 'Manual Mode with Auto-ISO' a lot...

I do not use Auto-ISO because I know which gain is optimal for raw conversion w/ my raw converters for my purposes - so I just set that ISO for a particular situation, if you don't or if you are a JPG shooter then we are sailling in different boats... note that I wrote "I find", w/o generalizing.

Maybe we sail the same boat differently, every skipper has it's own style and feeling, but I can assure you that jpgs were never my cup of tea; I will be burned by this, but I go further by saying that shooting jpgs with an A7R (or A7, or any decent camera, FF or not) is a "photographic crime/attempt"!

more effort to make zebra in A7 show raw clipping vs real time blinkies in E-M1

Channel/colour clipping is the right solution...

I prefer to meter properely before the shot, did I say that I was not using UniWB and post shot blinkes and histogram ? I use them too, but I tune my cameras to have all things available for me and that includes real time zebra/blinkes in EVF/LV, spot metering to place the spot into the right zone (as we establish the headroom with rawdigger) _and_ post shot review with both blinkies and UniWB tuned OOC JPG histogram... now there are indeed some better ideal solutions that are not available, so theoretically I want them too, but I can't have them...

Sorry, I'm old (ancient?!) school here, ie, just aperture, shutter speed, ISO and the "old" post processing way...

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow