Why no D800 M-RAW equivalent to Canon?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
aut0maticdan
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?
what are the other benefits?
In reply to Arnaud M, 4 months ago

There has been a lot of talk about this since the D4s has something similar. I wonder about some of the positive side effects of doing this besides just the smaller output. As an enthusiast, I'd like the flexibility without having multiple expensive and heavy bodies.

A lot of people have an immediate negative reaction to downsizing a file from the D800 because they think of it as sacred and jump to the conclusion that you've wasted money and 'don't get it.' That's fair enough, but I'd just as soon look to the potential upsides.

For instance, with enough processing power and the right algorithms, I'm sure you could boost noise performance to rival or even beat the Df/D4(s) at high ISO. I bet you could also have a high speed mode by activating only some pixels or combining multiple pixels to one to rival the D4 in speed.

I'm under no illusion that Nikon would ever do something this nice for us as a firmware upgrade, even if its possible with current hardware, but it would make an interesting D800s. I basically never shoot multiple frames unless I'm bracketing and the size of the D800 files don't bother me, but I wouldn't kick a 12mp | 16mp | 24mp noise reduction mode out of bed.

I'm unfamiliar with the way Canon does it and the D4s is not available yet. Do you get any of these sorts of benefits?

aut0maticdan's gear list:aut0maticdan's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow