Is image stabilization really the stuff?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
Is image stabilization really the stuff?
6 months ago

When I got my first camera with image stabilization I was amazed, a Olympus 510. I swore I would never own another camera without stabilization. But now the longer I do this the less I use or need it. I almost never find myself in a situation I need it.

When I am shooting landscapes it's always in low light and I am 100% on tripod. When I am shooting wildlife I can push the ISO so high and still maintain good image quality and sharp images without it on.

The high ISO capabilities of the newer Sony cameras has all but eliminated my need for image stabilization. I can see it with the a77 or the NEX cameras as they suffer some in the high ISO area. But I have read so many post complaining the a7/7R doesn't have it in body it's the deal breaker for many.

When I had the E-M1 it was a must as 1600 ISO was my limit for except able results. So how much do you really need it and for what? If I can shoot 8000 ISO I can honestly say I don't need it.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow