Buying my first DLR (Nikon D7100) within the comming weeks but worried about Nikon Quality Control..

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cingen
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Buying my first DLR (Nikon D7100) within the comming weeks but worried about Nikon Quality Control..
5 months ago

Hey all!

Within the next few weeks I will be buying my first DSLR, a Nikon D7100.

When doing my research however, I found a worringly big amount of complaints of people who had some issues that had to be fixed by sending the camera back to Nikon, mainly Auto Focus related.

This, on top of the lawsuit running against Nikon regarding the D600 made me have close to no faith at all in the quality control Nikon performs.

I know that most issues, especially the Autofocus related ones, are easily spotted by a photographer when he gets the camera.

However, my problem is that I have no experience at all with DSLRs. I am even ashamed to admit that I often think a picture is sharp while more experienced people point out that it isn't sharp at all. (on a note related to this, is this a lack of experience and something I will develop over time, or is this to blame on my bad eyesight?)

This means that I don't count on me being able to discover any Quality Control issues any time before the warranty runs out, and because of my financial situation I won't be able to replace this camera within the next 5-6 years so any quality issues will be a big problem for me.

I am actually considering going to a camerashop once I have the camera and ask them to do a "checkup" trying to find any issues with it. Do camerashops actually do this? (I will not be buying the camera there since online it's around 200 euros cheaper than any shop offers) Or is doing this overkill?

And is Nikon quality insurance really this bad or are people overreacting it?

Thanks alot in advance for your opinions!

Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow