This shot is what convinced me to shoot in RAW (RX10)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,066Gear list
Like?
Re: Try JPEG
In reply to Ron AKA, 5 months ago

Ron AKA wrote:

I think this is unfortunately a reflection on the ability of the user to effectively post process the images. Some think they should be able to automatically process RAW images and produce good results. In fact they often evaluate post processing software on the basis of the auto presets, not on the basis of custom adjustments the software is capable of. My view is that if you are going to post process, then take the time to adjust each image.

That's correct Ron and for me post-processing is half of the photo fun. I've been using PS for quite a long time and have become skilled enough with it, to the point to always shooting in function of what can be done in post-processing later meanwhile trying to get the best shot as possible too.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are post processing JPEG images you are really doubling up on the post processing. That can be done with post processing as well. You save the adjusted RAW as a JPEG and then raw process the JPEG as second time.

That's also right, IQ trouble starts with compression ratio used by the camera* that as you well say it's a previous process to our own PP and gets worst when saving and opening a jpg file consecutively many times, that's why I never forget to keep the original JPG files (same as RAWs) for reprocessing them in only one PP session later, if needed.

* In some cameras, JPG compression routines are very aggressive, even destructive, I'd say that that's why many people hate JPGs and why I got rid of HX200V (first batch released) as soon as I could.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow