I'd love to have this in my next camera!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
I'd love to have this in my next camera!
4 months ago

While reading some other threads, I decided to do a little research digging on other cameras. Upon my research, I stumbled across a feature found in the Pentax K5-II(s) (and some of their other cameras, I believe) that I would love to see in the next A-mount camera:

Astrotracer

I read several camera articles and reviews that cover almost all makes and models that involve cameras with interchangeable lenses and I am surprised that I somehow overlooked this feature.

Pentax achieves this through the use of their option GPS module along with the built in image stabilizer (I believe they use a 3-axis solution). Once calibrated, the sensor actually moves with the rotation of the earth to minimize star trailing.

While it is by no means a complete replacement for dedicated astrophotography mounts that are used for astrophotography (such as the iOptron SkyTracker or the Vixen Polarie), it certainly would be a big help for those doing exposures no longer than a minute and stacking them. Doing some looking online, the results are pretty impressive.

Combine this with a built in intervalometer and you would have a great camera to use for astrophotography.

Being that the current A-mount cameras are using a 2-axis sensor stabilization method, I can see that it wouldn't be possible with those. But if 3 or 5 axis sensor stabilization is implemented in the future cameras, it should then be pretty easy to implement.

Would anybody else out there other than me be interested in seeing this in their next camera?

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow