System Switch - Have you done it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
cdp8
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Re: System Switch - Have you done it?
In reply to BellaBull8, 4 months ago

BellaBull8 wrote:

Travel photography is my first love, and not being weighed down with 8 tons of gear when shooting crop sensor anyway would be LOVELY. And saving space in my carry-on? Oh yes.

No sports, birds, or kids in my shooting. Primarily city/landscape, food, detail, and portraiture.

Have any of you made a similar switch? I also do work with speedlights and Alien Bees strobes - anyone use those off camera with the X series?

Eager to hear back - and thanks ahead!

Three flash comments: 1) the Canon OC-E3 flash cord is compatible with Fujifilm flashes; 2) A Fujifilm exec stated in an interview recently that they have heard their users' calls for better flash support and it is coming (though who knows when); and 3) there is a wonderful forum dedicated to using flashes with the X System at fujix-forum.com (slaves, radio triggers and all that other stuff I know nothing about).

If travel photography is indeed your first love, what the heck are you waiting for? Make the switch. Old gear bag was Nikon D200/D7000, 17-55mm f/2.8, 16-85 VR, 35mm f/1.8, 70-300mm, and 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina. It was a pita to travel with.

I sold it all on eBay and replaced it with an X-E2, 14mm f/ 2.8, 18-55mm f/2.8-4, 23mm f/1.4 and the 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8. All that fits in a Think Tank Retrospective 5. When the 56mm f/1.2 hits my local store, it will be in my bag too.

I took a two week trip in December to Vienna, Prague and a cruise down the Danube from Nuremburg back to Vienna. It was a joy to travel with that kit. I used to bring along a good quality P&S (like a Canon S90 or Sony RX 100) for times I didn't want to lug the DSLR around. This time the RX100 never left its case because the XE-2 was always with me. To further downsize, I added an new ipad mini retina instead of a laptop and with the Fujiflm wifi app I was able to share pics with friends and family along the way.

The samples I've seen from the new 56mm f/1.2 show that it will be a fantastic portrait lens.

I love that the user controls are just like the film cameras I learned on years ago. I also love that I get the sensor size of my former DX Nikons in a much smaller, lighter, less conspicuous package.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow