neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,370
Like?
Re: I have no idea ...
In reply to Jack Hass, 8 months ago

Jack Hass wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

I have no idea why you make such an off topic response. Read my post again: your IBIS claims are biased and overrated, and my response was neither the first nor the last that you will see on this forum, posted by people with real experience.

Hmm, i guess you were right, although im not sure EarthQuake was one of the posters you were expecting

RE: 3 stops of IBIS being negated by 2 stops...

This is only if you shoot your fast lenses wide open all the time, which is often a detriment in low light with FF, (not always, but often), the ISO difference is only about 1.5 stops anyway, so if you stop down from f1.4 to f2, you only have a half stop of ISO advantage, and you're losing somewhere in the range of 3-5 stops when looking at unstabilized primes (every FF prime you could use on E system). You can use a zoom with OIS, but then you're limited to F4, which is another 3 stops slower than a 25/1.4 or similar lens on M43rds. A stationary subject, like a night landscape where you want more DOF, not less, handheld with an F4 zoom is going to need a much higher ISO than with a 1.4 M43rds prime on an OMD.

Its true that FF does offer more flexibility in terms of ISO, DR and shallow DOF, but these advantages are not always an advantage. If you need a fast shutter speed in low light and you want very narrow DOF, FF has a a clear advantage, but that rarely happens and you will have lots of trouble hitting focus on your fast moving object in this situation anyway. In good light FF obviously has the advantage because its simply more flexible, and in moderate light generally as well, again if you can live with narrower DOF.

I know narrow DOF is always talked about as if its the holy grail, but as someone who shoots both FF and M43rds, getting enough in focus can often be tricky on FF, especially if say, you have more than one person in a shot. Again if you've gotta stop your lens down and raise the ISO, you no longer have any advantage over the smaller sensor, and smaller/lighter system.

FF sensors are clearly better in theory or on paper, but in real use its not as cut and dry.

Completely agree. The point about thin DOF and getting focus right is spot on. Who in their right mind is going to shoot action with an F1.2 and expect many to be keepers. Super thin DOF has a very limited use, and losing 2 stops with FF makes everything harder. As you say, more flexible in good light.

-- hide signature --

May Satan forever guide you.

Actually, using a 1.2 lens for action shots with the A7 is surprisingly easy thanks to focus peaking and magnification (for a quick double check).....try it (oh that's right you never will).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow