Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,536Gear list
Like?
Tips for using the Samyang/Rokinon/Wallimex/Opteka 8mm f3.5
9 months ago

Hey guys, a few quick Qs I hope you can help with...

Have set up my a57 and a77 to shoot without lens and put it in M mode.

1. Should I turn off SSS with this lens mounted?

2. Can I trust focus peaking when using this lens or should I ignore it

3. On a57 and a77 is there a way to magnify the live view image so that I can better judge focus? I know, I know, hyperfocal distance, set the lens to f8, etc., but I'm just in the process of testing my lens right now and it would be helpful for me when trying to determine if my copy needs those famous screws adjusting, if I could judge focus accuracy on the LCD. I couldn't find how to do it on the a57 - is there a way to magnify the image during composition on the a57 or a77?

4. sharpness - reviews seem to rave about this at f5.6 to f11. So far what I'm seeing on my copy at f8 is OK - quite good at times, but not the same level of sharpness I am used to seeing in the centre with a prime lens (e.g. Sony 85mm f2.8 stopped down a stop or two) or with my Sony 16-50 lens. Should the sharpness of the Samyang match those lenses or exceed it?

Any other tips? I've found plenty of nice shots here and elsewhere with this lens, and of course, of Flickr, but it's user tips I'm looking for

Thanks !

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony RX100 +1 more
Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow