Nikko aus London
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
Re: Best photo editing software?
In reply to AndyW17, 7 months ago

AndyW17 wrote:

Nikko aus London wrote:

AndyW17 wrote:

I am on a Mac and would like to steer you AWAY from iPhoto completely unless you absolutely plan to go to Aperture. Unlike other programs, iPhoto has a nasty habit of copying all of your pictures into a very unfriendly "package" where it is difficult to retrieve them for use in any other program.

Andy

Huh? File->Export->Kind=Original is difficult? Maybe I missed something here?

Agree with your other comments, especially WRT Photoshop. The Aperture vs Lightroom is really a matter of personal choice, both are good products.

Nikko

Not to start a debate on iPhoto, but the export process creates new versions of "originals" - or the modified versions. It clobbers the original finder file dates, for example, because the export is creating new files in the process. The exported pictures will have modified timestamps in Finder (EXIF is intact) The true originals (or masters) are still buried in the iPhoto package. Getting them out takes some work in Finder.

So if you want to use more than iPhoto with your originals, you're sort of stuck. It's a self-contained universe you have to live within (except for maybe Aperture) or suffer the file management consequences.

All I'm saying is that the OP needs to be aware of the situation before charging headlong into iPhoto. Because it creates the "package" file with all of the original images within, changing your mind later to use something like LR can be painful.

-- hide signature --

Andy

There we are - I knew I was missing something.  Thx for the clarification.

N

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow