Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
BellaBull8
Contributing MemberPosts: 839Gear list
Like?
Re: System Switch - Have you done it?
In reply to ryan2007, 6 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

BellaBull8 wrote:

I'm in a quandary here, trying to decide to work on a dual system or just switch altogether.

Currently I have a Canon setup, using a 7D plus the 17-55 2.8 lens primarily, plus the 85mm 1.8. Have the 70-200 f4 L IS but that's going on the auction block as I rarely use it now anyway.

Here's my dilemma:

I am seriously considering switching to a setup with the xe-2 and xt-1 plus a couple primes and the premium zooms about to come out. The promise of a significantly lighter setup coupled with the IQ people are raving about from Fuji is making me drool.

Travel photography is my first love, and not being weighed down with 8 tons of gear when shooting crop sensor anyway would be LOVELY. And saving space in my carry-on? Oh yes.

No sports, birds, or kids in my shooting. Primarily city/landscape, food, detail, and portraiture.

Have any of you made a similar switch? I also do work with speedlights and Alien Bees strobes - anyone use those off camera with the X series?

Eager to hear back - and thanks ahead!

-- hide signature --

Don't assume. It makes an a** out of you and me.
www.molimogallery.com
www.facebook.com/molimophoto

In addition to the thin choices in Fuji TTL flash you still have a APS-C system. Yes the lenses are smaller than a DSLR but Micro Four Thirds is even smaller for the most part.

If working with off-camera flash in manual mode, I don't see any reason to end up restricted to Fuji brand flashes. Just not willing to go to a smaller sensor. Size matters but IQ and DOF options still top it.

I also don't understand why you need two different Fuji X bodies. If your going to the trouble of getting the XT-1 might as well get two. That or consider the XT-1 with X100s or XE-2 & X100s as a idea.

I like to have a backup body when traveling outside the U.S., in case something breaks or is stolen (I keep kit separated so that I don't lose everything in that case) and 2 xt's is outside my budget but I want an interchangeable lens body.

Fuji also has a lens road map and will have a 16-55 2.8 or a 24-80 mm 2.8 equivalent this year.

I know! I can't wait for the 16-55 2.8!

I also highly advise not selling your Canon gear until you are sure about Fuji X or switching to any system. Keep in mind that a smaller camera system can mean smaller buttons/controls to match the body. It can be a good thing or maybe not.

I plan to rent the Fuji cameras and try them out to see what I think first. I imagine the form factor change will take getting used to since I've always had an SLR or DSLR.

Not sure if your Alien Bees have wireless ability (I use Elinchrom) but the XT-1 does have a built in PC socket and like wise for Micro Four Thirds the Panasonic GH-3 which I used extensively as well as Fuji X and the GH-3 is a nice camera.

No built in, but using the AB wireless triggers, which have always worked great for me.

-- hide signature --

Don't assume. It makes an a** out of you and me.
www.molimogallery.com
www.facebook.com/molimophoto

BellaBull8's gear list:BellaBull8's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow