Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
Re: I have no idea ...
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, 4 months ago

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

On FF, I can get down to maybe 1/60th, and IBIS or OSS lets me go down to 1/8th. At 1/8th, I can only shoot stationary objects.

well... IS allows you to do 1/60 w/ 150-200mm eq FOV fast prime to shoot casually posing people w/o flash in a certain ambient light... so it has its uses... now I'd not risk using 1/60 w/ such FOV neither on A7 or A7r... using big zooms with OIS ? no, thank you.

We do agree, I also wrote:

OSS only works for shooting less than 1/FL for longer lenses

which is the same as your comment.

And yes, we are awaiting this 85mm FE/E fast prime lens which should have OSS - it would cover the case that you highlight.

Even the 55mm FE lens has already confronted users with the lack of OSS - I have read several reports and comments by users that they can't get it sharp handheld below 1/100th, including dpr' review.

The FE zooms give you OSS, but they are 2 stops (24-70) or 3 stops (28-70) slower at 55mm.

But then, 1/100th with a fast lens does not necessarily mean blowing up your ISO, plus you can easily go to ISO 6,400 on top of that.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow