Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
itsastickup
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?
Saving the compact camera
5 months ago

To contradict Canon, I think smartphones are the enemy.

So what does a consumer compact bring that a smartphone doesn't? Not much. And it's (mostly) missing the ability to instantly or easily upload to facebook.

Perhaps what's needed is a 'facebook' or 'social' camera whose specs would get itself some street cred with a bit of hipster appeal.

Fit it with a low MP APS-C sensor with a quality f2.8 35mm lens, for some DOF control and ultra high ISO and DR, and the hipsters might bite. Maybe enough to make a marketing splash, in my fetid imaginings.

Then it needs superior connectivity. If not an android 3G chassis, which would mount up the cost far too high, wifi coupled to a really good-n-simple android or iphone app on the smartphone. I think generally the smartphone is going to be there for most buyers any way, so one may as well make use of it. Even without android or a smartphone, an tcp/ip stack + LUA and then facebook/google+/flickr support should be easy enough.

And give it a classic, clunky look.

Any body got any better ideas?

-- hide signature --
 itsastickup's gear list:itsastickup's gear list
Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow