A7/A7R Light leaks reported + White Orbs issue?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
Re: A7/A7R Light leaks reported + White Orbs issue?
In reply to M Dennis Fern, 6 months ago

M Dennis Fern wrote:

New A7r with new FE24-70 mounted (no adapter naturally). The lens cap was on and I covered the lens with the black vinyl lens case (which has a heavy base on the end). I took the photo in the sun at 30 seconds with an ISO of 25,600. Obviously, this is not a one-off problem. The idea of a home-made fix using gaffer tape on my new camera is not appealing. Any suggestions?

Dennis - you're on the right track with your method.

You can isolate this a little more definitively before deciding that you have an issue.

I think you want to avoid shooting this setup in the sun, even if you have the lens bagged. It's hard to know what behavior you're actually testing for with such a bright source as the sun. I also think that avoiding high ISO and long exposure is important to isolate noise/sensor behavior from actual light leaks.

I would do your bagged lens test in a black room with an LED flashlight with 5 second exposures at ISO400. Shine the light directly around the actual ring, but pointing inward at the camera. Also make sure that bag doesn't transmit light - I doubt it's completely light proof. It may take some effort to achieve a light tight test which only isolates the mounting ring.

Also, try this with more than one lens - that could be very enlightening.

I'm not denying or confirming that there is an issue, I just want to see if we can eliminate other variables and confirm what's happening.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow