Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,994Gear list
Like?
Contax G and adapters
7 months ago

Geez what a pain! I ordered a Fotodiox and got a "Fotasy". My guess is that these are mostly all the same design and copies of each other except the Metabones.

But the real pain is that it completely sucks. I hate this piece of crap. There's just too much slop in the gear shaft to keep it from binding and bucking as you turn the focus ring. Whats more, the lens release tab is nearly useless, requiring me to reach under the mount and pull back on the lock tab.

I hadn't really read the horror stories until after this was on order and then I was biting my lip until it arrived. It was predictably stiff and difficult to use and I wondered what the issue might be, hoping that use and perhaps some care could smooth it out. But I'm afraid this will never get better on this adapter.

I took the whole thing apart and polished things and tried to improve the binding by taking the gear teeth down a bit. I removed all the lubricant and put some Krytox in it and it's certainly better and kind of useable, but certainly not worth keeping. The amount of gear reduction in combination with the loose tolerance of the gear shaft of the little drive pin is just not a good combination. All they had to do with machine this to tighter tolerances, it's not that difficult.

So this thread is intended as a warning to others, but also to ask a couple of questions:

* How is everyone liking the Metabones? Is it wonderfully smooth, or does it bind up as well?

* Has anyone found one that is truly smooth?

Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow