FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today! Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,245Gear list
Some perspective:
In reply to ZzzooM3, 5 months ago

ZzzooM3 wrote:

I think this sets a record for me on camera gear. I ordered the FE 24-70mm F4 OSS and it finally arrived today at 1:15PM. I dropped it back to FedEx at 3:15PM!!

I knew it was a bad idea to pre-order just on expectation. I really got caught up in the positive reviews for the FE35 and FE55 and placed the order site and review unseen. I won't be making that mistake again.

At $1200, this lens should be spot on for the entire focal range, not just from 28-60 and it's not fast enough. Shame because Sony had such a good start with the other 2 Zeiss branded FE lens

I realize a few people won't be liking this lens. But to put it in perspective, I compare this to the similarly priced Canon 24-70 f/4 and I feel that the images I'm seeing from some guys are actually nicer looking than those coming from the Canon.

I'm not sure what tests would show here, but I still think the results are pretty good. They are certainly in line with the cost. Keep in mind that a faster lens or better corner performing lens would likely double the cost to the likes of the Canon 24-70 2.8 and even that lens has issues.

Maybe some of us were expecting better performance because of the Zeiss name? But is it really priced like a top Zeiss would be? It's priced like a Canon mid-range zoom and seems to equal or better that. And forget Nikon, nothing in this price range touches it in my view.

For the record, I'm not going to buy it. I've generally been a prime guy and this lens hasn't changed my approach. I can't afford a WATE, so I'm sticking with primes.

Just some thoughts...

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
And?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow