Olympus E-P5 vs Panasonic GX7, which should I get?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
brentbrent
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
Re: Why do you prefer the 12-35 to the 12-40?
In reply to NZ Scott, 9 months ago

NZ Scott wrote:

Why do you prefer the 12-35 to the 12-40? I'm guessing it's not image quality.

On paper the 12-40 is the better lens with regards to optics, macro capability, CA aberrations and the manual-focus clutch.

However, the 12-35 is smaller, lighter and slightly cheaper.

After trying both in-hand, I decided to stay true to the small-size m43 ethos and ordered a 12-35 (it's still in the mail).

At B&H the 12-35 is $1,100 USD, and the 12-40 is $1,000.

I don't have immediate plans to buy either and haven't handled them, but if I were to buy one now, it would probably be the 12-35 for its size and OIS (since I have Panasonic bodies). If I had Oly bodies I'm not sure the size would be enough (for me) to tip the balance toward the 12-35 (though the size difference between the "matching" 35-100 versus the 40-140 is more significant).

Sometime down the road I may buy a successor to the EM1, and that might tip me toward the Oly lenses if I were to buy 2.8 zooms.

It's nice to have choices.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow