nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,499Gear list
Like?
Re: Gees
In reply to ianbrown, 7 months ago

ianbrown wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

I crop a lot Ian and always will.

Now if someone showed me those images and the need to crop that much, I would simply tell them to get a longer focal length. Unfortunately I can't get a longer focal length. If you took those with a 200mm lens, they would be 10 times better than those crops, even with a cheap 200mm lens.

So what's the point, to find out which lens is better, sure but would you hang those crops on the wall at home.

All you are telling me with those shots and crops, is that both lenses suck when cropped in that much, no surprise here Ian. One might be slightly better than the other, but by the looks of those heavy crops, they are both garbage.

Lenses are not designed to keep people happy with heavy cropping, however you find the need to push them over their limits. IMO, not very clever.

Lets take the NEX-7 sensor and a Canon 500 F/4.5L, a very sharp lens and sensor, but wait, look what happens Ian with a heavy crop ....

Lack of details, soft, ton of noise, shocking in my book. So the NEX-7 sensor and Canon 500 F/4.5L is just completely rubbish in that case. Why on earth would I want to do that with a heavy crop !!

Now I reckon there's a lesson there Ian, don't pixel peep and accept lenses for what they are. The perfect lens and sensor you are looking for, you will never find or own. Work for what they were made for and keep within the boundaries of the lens, don't cross to the other side....... IMO.

Danny.

Hi Danny

Everything you say makes much sense in theory, but don't most reviewers crop to see how well a lens performs?

What other way can you evaluate a lens sharpness?

I know what you say all makes good sense but people do test lenses and with possible lens quality sample variations it's good to know you have a good copy

any further advise on lens testing appreciated but I understand that in practice you would never crop that heavy

Ian

Its always been very simple this one Ian.

Warning, long and boring this one.

The best lens and the one you really want, is the one you don't own and never will. IMO only, how you test a lens is you take a shot and print it out large. That happens to be real life. What you are doing is taking cropping into levels where all lenses actually look like junk and now you have a PC where you can zoom into crazy areas to see how bad a lens is. Zoom back and look at the overall image Ian, what's wrong with both those lenses, probably nothing

I have never gone by lens tests Ian, I go by the shot itself. Its either a good one or a bad one (the shot that is).

Heck mate, you have gone through so many cameras, its like you are looking for the prefect one and you admit that, so all credit. Here's the thing, you can just as easily take a bad shot with a Canon 1DX, Nikon D800 as you can with a point and shoot. You can take complete terrible shots with a Leica, Hasselblad, etc, etc. I've seen plenty of them.

Now the same goes for lenses, you can spend $20,000 US on a lens and take a shot that needs to go into the bin, blurred, lacking details, etc.

I've seen superb shots taken with the 10-18mm in here and I've seen some that should not have been posted. So what makes that lens a good one ......... the person behind it. It didn't need any test to tell me that, you can see it. I don't need to see a heavy cropped image of it to tell me its fine.

All heavy cropping does is show you how bad those lenses are when they are pushed  beyond what they are for. Its not good advertising for any lens or camera manufacturer. I've never bought a lens based on a test, never. I go by what I see. Reviewers can do what they like, just like you can, but based on what I see, I wouldn't go near those lenses (including a lot of lens reviews). The full views look fine though. I wonder why

All the best Ian and I'll leave you alone

Danny.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow