D700 - Where to go next?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
fPrime
Regular MemberPosts: 462Gear list
Like?
Re: The OP's lenses would disagree with that...
In reply to yray, 5 months ago

yray wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

yray wrote:

Well, if 'professional reviewers and users alike' say it, it can't be wrong. can it? On the other hand, it would be a bit strange if Nikon took the Multi CAM 3500 and did a worse job with it after four years, wouldn't it? Have you evr heard of expectation effect?

I'm sorry, Bob, but this is just wrong. If you know anything at all about software development,

As it happens, I do.

you should have no doubts whatsoever that a subsequent software release can indeed be much worse than the preceding one, and by improving one thing it is quite easy to break inadvertently something else.

That would be an incompetently designed and controlled software development.

We already know about incompetently designed and controlled hardware manufacture, why would you assume that their software engineering is necessarily up to snuff?

So, all these claims about "improved" AF should be taken with a big grain of salt until proven otherwise in practice. It is quite conceivable that the "improved" CAM3500 code branches out into some piece of functionality where the original CAM3500 code never went. We'll most certainly never know, and it is not a given that anyone at Nikon knows that either.

It seems very strange that Nikon would knowingly release a worse AF.

I didn't say knowingly, did I? I only said that buggy software is a fact of life, and it is probably fair to say that all software is buggy to some extent.

Smacks to me of clutching at straws on behalf of some D700 owners.

-- hide signature --

Bob

I can't fathom where you get these arguments. You assume that all D700 owners ought to want a D800, and if they don't it is because they are in denial for the lack of funds. Personally, I could have bought D800 at any time if I wished to. But I don't really need a D800. The D700 does it for me most of the time, and when I need a D3s, I use one. For all that, I'm still in love with the ancient D300, and occasionally I still find very useful applications for my D200 too, even though I "moved" to FX a while back.

Indeed.  The color sensitivity of the D200's CCD is spectacular if you keep it at base ISO.  Some people assume that the increase in megapixel resolution via CMOS sensors hasn't come at any cost at all but IMHO the tradeoff has been a decline in color quality.  The only way to get that aspect back for the situations when you need/want it is to buy an older camera which paradoxically makes it the better camera at least for the time it's being used.

A lot of the discussions on these forums often take for granted two assumptions which are not necessarily self-evident. First, that moving from DX to FX is necessarily a progression, and, second, that moving from an older model to a newer one is necessarily a progression. I take an exception to both premises, not because I can't afford what I need but because I can't justify what I don't need.

And it's not just need.  In general newer is better is never a guarantee and even when it is it's even rarer that it's across the board.

fPrime

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow