Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
Re: Gees
In reply to nzmacro, 9 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

I crop a lot Ian and always will.

Now if someone showed me those images and the need to crop that much, I would simply tell them to get a longer focal length. Unfortunately I can't get a longer focal length. If you took those with a 200mm lens, they would be 10 times better than those crops, even with a cheap 200mm lens.

So what's the point, to find out which lens is better, sure but would you hang those crops on the wall at home.

All you are telling me with those shots and crops, is that both lenses suck when cropped in that much, no surprise here Ian. One might be slightly better than the other, but by the looks of those heavy crops, they are both garbage.

Lenses are not designed to keep people happy with heavy cropping, however you find the need to push them over their limits. IMO, not very clever.

Lets take the NEX-7 sensor and a Canon 500 F/4.5L, a very sharp lens and sensor, but wait, look what happens Ian with a heavy crop ....

Lack of details, soft, ton of noise, shocking in my book. So the NEX-7 sensor and Canon 500 F/4.5L is just completely rubbish in that case. Why on earth would I want to do that with a heavy crop !!

Now I reckon there's a lesson there Ian, don't pixel peep and accept lenses for what they are. The perfect lens and sensor you are looking for, you will never find or own. Work for what they were made for and keep within the boundaries of the lens, don't cross to the other side....... IMO.

Danny.

Hi Danny

Everything you say makes much sense in theory, but don't most reviewers crop to see how well a lens performs?

What other way can you evaluate a lens sharpness?

I know what you say all makes good sense but people do test lenses and with possible lens quality sample variations it's good to know you have a good copy

any further advise on lens testing appreciated but I understand that in practice you would never crop that heavy

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
GeesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow