About to buy a camera, questioning K-5ii vs. K-3 IQ difference?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
pkokity
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: About to buy a camera, questioning K-5ii vs. K-3 IQ difference?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, 9 months ago

Since you underlined that, it deserves a reply.

Thanks for replying. I underlined it just to make sure no one missed my main concern among all of the lead-in information.

Dynamic range differences like that only matter to people who shoot RAW on difficult subjects, like tigers creeping in a forest, or shots of a cityscape at twilight. Shots like that benefit from processing to bring out detail from deep shadows.

I am very interested in textures, so the contrast of the tiger in the forest would be really cool to me. I have been charged by a buffalo while camping in the Bandlands (survived by running up hill), but would most likely only want to have the Tiger scenario at the zoo. I love pictures of gnarly bark on trees and such. Or, something like an unclose picture of one of those bugs that can float on the water, against the softness of the water, with the reflection of the surroundings on the water. That is the type of stuff I love. One of my favorite portraits is is a rough-faced Native American elder with a quote about how they look more like the Badlands as they age.

I actually do want learn how to work with RAW files because I don't want a camera company's pre-determined tonal (or whatever) qualities to determine the outcome of my photos. Nothing too over-the-top photo-shoppy though. Keep it real looking.

Thanks for your input.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow