Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 592
Like?
My first hours with A7 & FE 24-70 f4
6 months ago

Picked my new toy from UPS on the way home from work and have had it a couple hours now.  Some random initial thoughts...:

- Low light focus is not spectacular, but much better than RX1. No complaints here.

- Less forgiving with blown highlights than RX1 (in agreement with what others have said I do believe).  Seems RAW files are generally else malleable than RX1 in general, but kind of early to say for sure.

- However, pulling up shadows looks really good/promising.  I think I will be exposing to the left more so than with the RX1.  Zebra should be useful here as well.

- Significantly bigger than RX-1 or NEX-7.  But oh so nice to have the articulating screen and view finder back compared to RX1.

- Already missing the dedicated aperture ring on the RX1.  I knew I was going to miss this a lot :(.  But at least there is a dedicated exposure comp dial.

- Build quality of camera and lens both seems good.  The build of the lens is markedly better than a kit zoom, and also better than the SEL18200.

- Still figuring out the controls.  Holy sh*t though, was I getting frustrated with the image review.  On the RX1 you hit the magnify button and then spin the rear control dial to zoom in and out.  On the A7 you hit the magnify button, but then spinning the rear control dial goes to the next image!  Spinning the real control wheel zooms in&out. Whyyyy?  It is so much easier to spin the rear control dial to zoom and also use its 4-way directional buttons to move the zoom box around.  Is there a way to change the controls?

- Battery charging in-camera really sucks.  Glad I have a spare battery charger still.

- So far, no buyer's remorse

- Images below shot RAW, processed in LR.  Comments/critique welcome!

really pushed this file

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow