FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today! Locked

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
halbraun
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Re: FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Here Today .. Gone Today!
In reply to viking79, 4 months ago

Interetingly enough, I went to my local dealer today when he called and let me know he had the 24-70 in..  I went down with my gear and my 1920X1080 resolution laptop..

I compared the Zeiss to my 28-70 "kit lens" over a couple of hours of shooting and viewing side by side.. and when I left, I still had the kit lens.  The Zeiss was somewhat better, but per a previous post.. it did not "blow away" my kit lens.

Not going to entertain that I have a "great" kit lens copy, or that the Zeiss was a "poor" copy..  manufacturing differences aside, the lenses will all be within "x" % of the standard..  For me, the difference in the resulting picture was not worth $800.

Especially when you look at how I would use the zoom, which would be casually.. as in, the wife and I go out walking and I do not know what I am going to end up shooting.. its a nice day, speed is not a factor, and they are "snapshots" for memories.. nice but certainly not for hanging in the Louvre.

Otherwise I will take the kit and use the other FE prime lenses or some stellar legacy primes like my Zeiss 28, the Nikon 85 1.8, the Nikon 20.. etc.

So I guess as people have suggested, horses for courses..  and the 28-70 is a great casual walk around that in good light is very nearly as good as the $800 more expensive option.

happy shooting!

halbraun's gear list:halbraun's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +2 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
And?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow