Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Grobb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,229Gear list
Like?
Re: Is there a next sx280 model?
In reply to WB5, 7 months ago

WB5 wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Canon's 1/2.3" and 1/1.7" sensors are among the best in the market and have improved significantly (almost a stop) over last years.

I don't think Canon has made a 1/2.3" sensor since they made the SX1 superzoom, years ago. Their own sensor production, outside the large sensors (G1X, APS-C and up), seems to be limited to 1/1.7" sensors as used in the Canon S100 and S110 (not sure about what's inside the S120).

For the 1/2.3" sensors in models like the SX220/230, SX240/260 and SX270/280, IIRC it is a public secret that Canon bought the Sony 12MP BSI-CMOS for that (the same sensor that also got used in the Pentax Q1, among others). Since Canon stuck with a relatively low MP count all those years and Canon processing is good, they reaped the benefits with good quality. I suspect the improvement in recent years is down to more powerful processing (Digic 6, since last year) and to better algorithms.

So, correct me if I'm wrong in interpreting you reply. Are you saying that:

1. Since Canon bought the Sony 1/2.3" 12MP, that is good enough and large enough sensor should not be used?
  2. Since Canon sticks to 12MP's, they have good enough image quality, and sufficient enough?
  3. Since Canon has Digic 6 processor, sensors should not be getting any larger than 1/1.7" because that size sensor is good enough?

Are you really satisfied with simply good enough, or would you like to see larger, more efficient, sensors that give you much better IQ, more resolution, better DR, features, etc...? The reason Canon is continuing to rest on its laurels is because some people keep saying "it's good enough for me" and buying whatever they put out. If they Stylus 1 came with a 1" sensor, it may have been a contender. If the Nikon P8000 is good as I think it will be, I just may upgrade my G12 for it. As far as I'm concerned, 1/2.3" and 1/1.7" sensors are for cell phone cameras, NOT high end fixed lens cameras!

-- hide signature --

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow