D700 - Where to go next?

Started Mar 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Dave George
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 - Where to go next?
In reply to MayaTlab0, Mar 4, 2014

True enough the D700 isn'y quiet, but at those quiet moments you pick your shots carefully and only ever in single shot mode I think we as photographers notice it more than anyone else!

Waiting is an option, but switching systems isn't something I would consider, overall I think Nikon is the better choice of lenses and sensor ability right now.

MayaTlab0 wrote:

I considered the D800 as a replacement to my D700 and ultimately chose not to follow through. I felt that other than image quality at low ISOs the improvements were minimal. At higher ISOs it's better than a D700, but suffers from amplification noise which is a little time-wasting to correct in post (but no worse than a D700).

Otherwise it didn't correct what I thought was annoying with the D700, such as, for example, its memory banks system, shutter sound, ergonomical issues, and I even thought the grip was worse.

I believe you won't enjoy the D610 as much as your D700 in terms of ergonomics except the U1/U2 custom modes (for some reason Nikon decided to give a proper custom modes implementation to its mid-tiers cameras but not its higher-end ones, go figure), its AF may prove a bit of a downgrade, but otherwise I believe its sensor makes more sense as a D700 replacement (better than D800 at higher ISOs, less amplification noise).

The Df has an even better sensor as a D700 replacement, but I'm pretty confident you'll hate its handling / ergonomics coming from a D700 for your kind of application (EV dial on the left side, bad grip for heavier / longer lenses, etc.).

The latter two though have much better sounding shutters for wedding application IMHO. If you were to come at my wedding with a D700/D800/D4 and started shooting pictures at crucial moments I'd probably threaten to punch you in the face with my truly terrifying 60 kg frame.

If I were you, I'd just wait. Or change faction, but since the D4 is a costly option to you, I suppose switching systems would be just as costly.

Dave George's gear list:Dave George's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow