Would this be a good starter?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 3,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Would this be a good starter?
In reply to Preston205, 7 months ago

It could be.  I bought one for my 10 year daughter because of the price.  It is very lacking on medium control here.

I started off very disappointed...

It has no user selectable scene modes you can't tell it to use portrait mode etc.. But I have been surprised at how well it makes good calls with she is using it.

She was taking indoor shots of small Xmas miniatures.  Close up it got nice blurred back ground etc.

There are ways to start moving to more user control .. but you have to work for it.

But at $156 bucks its not a bad start.  as At Christmas Nikon still had it listed for $599 new on their site.

In her photography class that I volunteer teach I can tell you that the best exposures I got were oddly the J1 and an IPod Mini and one more advance P&S that looks like a little DSLR.

All the other PS in the same price ranges as this J1 refurb .. were not doing well for the kids in comparison.

You might outgrow it but for $156 you can sell it, hand it down etc and move into a better system with more lens support etc like Sony on Mirrorless or Canon, Nikon, Sony on full sized DSLRs

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow