Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
rbarta
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: 1DX for amateur
In reply to l_d_allan, 5 months ago

l_d_allan wrote:

rbarta wrote:

With 5 cameras and 12 lenses listed in your gear list, seems like you are a gear junkie too, hahaha!!!

Guilty as charged. My wife uses a term other than 'gear junkie" ...

However, I started with a very entry level 2mpx Canon Powershoot 10+ years ago, and loved it. Got stolen, and upgraded to Lumix PowerZoom. Loved it, but quite a few limitations.

Upgraded to the sub-Rebel Canon XS / 1000d and loved it almost to death ... tens of thousands of pictures within months, and it somehow overheated. Canon allowed me to upgrade to a refurb 50d, and then a year or so later got a reasonable deal on the 5d2.

I got worried when I got well past the 150k expected life of the 5d2 shutter, and the battery started acting glitchy. Came across a great deal on the 6d. But perhaps I'm being a bit defensive and rationalizing my expensive hobby?

BTW: it turns out that MagicLantern has a webpage for the actual count of shutter activations when a 5d2 shutter gave out ... IIRC it was about 350k, so my worries may have been unwarranted.

You crack me up.  You certainly don't have to defend yourself to me.  Glass is my drug of choice and I only have 5 lenses (and a 2x extender) and probably don't need the 85 f/1.2 or 135 f/2.0 that I'm eyeing.  As long as you are loving photography, have a blast.

BTW, "Retired Software Composer", love it.  My company titles me as a Principal Software Engineer, I gotta come up with a better job title.

rbarta's gear list:rbarta's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow