A7r 24-70 vs Nex-7 16-70 vs EM1 12-40

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,996Gear list
Like?
Re: A7r 24-70 vs Nex-7 16-70 vs EM1 12-40
In reply to blue_skies, 6 months ago

blue_skies wrote:

Over Christmas, I compared a number of lenses on the A7.

You can see the set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/111458433@N02/sets/72157639197006713/

A few samples included per below.

Getting sharp images is not difficult with either of your three setups. Understanding the differences is a bit more tricky.

Basically, DOF and light/sensor size are all interrelated, but so is image resolution and final sharpening.

Taking 3 OOC JPG and declare a winner is just an exercise for the day. Knowing why one camera outperforms the other ultimately results in a technique and a post-processing flow that will always make this one camera be preferred. Perhaps not for all, but at least to yourself.

Fwiw, I find that sharpening, when applied post any image re-sizing, is more effective in hinting IQ, but that the true IQ is always burried in the higher-pixel count image - assuming similar quality lenses, and proper handling of lighting/DOF/sensor size.

Also, in actual usage, I find the FF sensor by far the easiest to 'get what I want', even though I love the 16Mp of the Nex-6 (for many reasons).

I also think that everyone should go and try different ISOs to see what they can tolerate. The 'ISO 100 is best' may be true, but these Sony sensors let you shoot at ISO 800 without any noise. That gives you quite a bit flexibility to -yes- STOP DOWN

And, if the image is to be used at a certain size, it can be made to 'sparkle' for that size. Just do not zoom (pixel peep) in then

Lastly, if you compare cameras/formats - take series. Any single image can be mis-focused, OIS missed, camera shake, etc. - with a series you have a better feeling how the camera does in your hands.

BTW - I tried the RX10 last week - for what you seem to be aiming for (large DOF/low ISO), this may very well become your preferred camera - do go try one!

Nex-6

A7

A7

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Hey Henry, where else could we get that level of knowledge and competence? Welcome back!

New word for comparing lenses: 'acutance.' It's better than sharp; it's the human perception of sharp.

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow