Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
Re: A7r 24-70 vs Nex-7 16-70 vs EM1 12-40
In reply to bigley Ling, 7 months ago

bigley Ling wrote:

captura wrote:

There were a few reported instances of the 12-40 lens, which has plastic construction, breaking in half.

That is indeed interesting, care to share the link where this is reported?

I have dropped my 12-40mm and it has not fallen in half. Anyhow the 12-40 lens is a well balanced lens that mates the E-M1 extremely well. The idea of incorporating more metal internal components would add much weight, and the overall portability of the lens will be compromised.

This thread is just bizarre and every pic I see is showing either over sharpening of the 12-40 EM1 combination or really bad examples of NEX, A7 pics. I just can't figure out what the OP is trying to accomplish. Here is a link for the 12-40 that is prone to breaking at the plastic mount. In fairness, I have provided another link from Peta Pixel showing how many lenses similarly have plastic mounts.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56256

http://petapixel.com/2014/01/03/metal-mounts-really-better-plastic-lens-rentals-investigates/

For the MFT owners I'm sure the 12-40 is a good match. The problem is the vast majority of Sony users have no interest in a smaller sensor. No matter how hard the sell and attempted proof, it just doesn't work. The other problem is the cost. I can't imagine someone buying this combination for $2,300 when a FF A7 camera and kit would be $500 less. A gorgeous Zeiss 24-70 could be combined with the A7 for only a couple hundred more than the EM1/12-40 combo and would provide significant higher IQ.

I'm all for competition but am afraid MFT is just not going to make it at these prices considering what is coming from other manufacturers with better sensors.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow