Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,045Gear list
Like?
Olympus 9mm body cap lens on the GM1: first photos
7 months ago

I got the Olympus 9mm fisheye body cap lens today, and, since the St. Lawrence Market was closed, I went to the Pacific Mall to take pictures.  But first I took a picture of my favourite camera salesman, Hector of Henry's in Thornhill, Ontario, who sold me the lens.  Hector really knows his photo equipment, and, unlike many of his colleagues, he won't try to sell you a camera or a lens if he doesn't think it's the right one for you.  He also tries to get you the best price by checking on their computer to see if any of their competitors has an item for a lower price, which Henry's will then price match.

With the 9mm mounted on the GM1, I had to first get into the menu and turn on the feature that allows you to take pictures with a lens.  The 9mm has no electrical connection with the camera body, so, as far as the camera is concerned, it doesn't exist.  I then set the camera in the P mode, adjusted the ISO to be the lowest that would result in the shutter speed that was sufficiently high not to cause blurring.  I generally found that 1/25 sec was OK, but 1/15 was too slow, just as the "reciprocal rule" would predict.

I shot RAW, made the usual adjustments in ACR, and then opened the image in CS6, where I used The Fisheye Hemi 3 plug-in to correct the distortion for most of the shots.  This worked very well.

Here are some sample shots.  What do you think?

Bob

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow