Technique or gear? Trying to get good focus on dog running at me.

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
curiousmike1300
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
Technique or gear? Trying to get good focus on dog running at me.
6 months ago

Nikon D5000 + 55-200.

I've tried various combination, but my typical setup is...

-A priority ( typically as large as lens will allow, but I have stepped it down to try to increase DOF)

-Spot Focus - typically using center focus point and keeping it on the dogs head the best I can

-Spot Metering

-Continuous Focus

-Crank ISO up until I see 1/800 or greater

-I've always tried setting exposure lock to on when shutter is half-pressed.

-I've tried various ways of holding the camera as steady as possible

The problem is I'm not able to nail focus of my dog running directly at me.

I asked the subject question in the Beginners Forum a month or so back, but did not get a satisfactory answer.

Are my results more due to missing technique, or is it conceivable that my gear "doesn't focus fast enough." (Which will lead to a follow up, Does the Nikon 70-300 or Tamron 70-300 focus faster -- and would that speed be useable on my D5000 body?)

Trying to keep the single focus point on the dogs face seems it could be a candidate, as I often see another plane of the dog in focus - maybe the chest or back.   But I've taken hundreds of photos of her running at me, and I haven't hit perfect focus on her face ever.  Still images at similar focal lengths look sharp and focused to me.

I know I've tried 3D tracking for a few shots, didn't see an improvement, and bailed on it as a solution.  Maybe I should try it again?

curiousmike1300's gear list:curiousmike1300's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow