SHG puzzle

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Pete_CSCS
Senior MemberPosts: 2,945Gear list
Like?
Hi Bobby
In reply to Bobby J, 4 months ago

Bobby J wrote:

I think there are several reasons these lenses are holding their value pretty well. 1st, m4:3 has no equivilent to many of them. There is nothing quite like the 12x60. The 12x40 is a fine lens, but a little short on reach. The 40x150 f/2.8, if we ever get it, is also a little short. Nothing like the 50-200 of 4:3.

The only problem with using focal length range as a criteria is, where does that leave the much heralded 14-35/2.0? That has even less range at both ends than the 12-40/2.8. Yet, I never hear anyone complain about the limited focal length ratio of that lens. The speed, contrast and sharpness of that lens trumps its' slightly smaller range.

5.00:1 ZD 12-60/2.8-4.0

4.00:1 ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5

3.86:1 ZD 14-54/2.8-3.5

3.33:1 MZD 12-40/2.8

2.50:1 ZD 14-35/2.0

Generally speaking, the shorter the focal length range, the easier it is to build a higher quality zoom. As technology improves, wider focal length range zooms like 12-60mm are feasible, but image quality-wise they can never top what is possible with a lesser range (e.g. 11-22mm) especially in distortion.

If that weren't the case, they could build a small camera with a full frame sensor (Sony RX1) and put a 63X zoom in it (Sony DSC-H400) and be done with it.  No more lens swapping, no big camera bags, no heavy gear or broken backs.  

Also, I think the SHG lenses are about as good as glass gets...although they are monsters compared to most m4:3 lenses. As long as they can be used reasonably well on a m 4:3 body, I can't see anyone just giving them away. You won't be able to duplicate them from what we know so far. Optically and mechanically they are outstanding. For certain applications it's unlikely we'll ever see something like them in m4:3 unless it becomes much more widely accepted than now.

Do you think we'll ever see a 90x250 f/2.8? Or a 300/ f/2.8? Or a 150 f/2? I doubt it. So far the only thing I've seen Oly talk about that will obsolete one of the SHG lenses is that they do plan to introduce a 7x14 f/2.8. So maybe there is hope that somewhere down the line we'll see some native m4:3 lenses that could replace the ones I've mentined. But for now at least, I think the SHG glass will hold it value reasonably well. I sure don't plan to get rid of mine.

-- hide signature --

BJM

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,

Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow