Importance of gear ...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark_A
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312
Like?
Re: Do you look at the gear, or the photographs?
In reply to deednets, 9 months ago

deednets wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Hmm, Ok Deed,

If I have my 28-70mm f2.8 with its 77mm front element plus a flash, people seem to think I might be a pap and behave accordingly.

If I however have just my tiny 50mm f1.8, I usually am ignored and can go about my business.

Mark

Yep, the old balance between "serious" gear admired by thieves and your degree of worry. I personally like it when the gear I use does the trick and I don't feel underdressed, so when i do studio work I feel the most comfortable when the model thinks that my gear takes HER seriously. Likewise for workshops, I would feel quite ok with an X-E2 and a 56/1.2 or 23/1.4 ...

70mm a tad short for the true pap, right? 600/4.0 more like it? For the discerning pap that is ...

I don't often have to impress a professional model, and most amateur models seem impressed enough with my big black camera whatever lens is on it.

I do like to be unobtrusive when out and about so I do like a small prime for that.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow