Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,284
Like?
Re: Importance of gear ...
In reply to deednets, 5 months ago

deednets wrote:

... from a psychological perspective.

I was reading a thread on the Leica forum stating that gear doesn't matter. One of the first posters to respond suggested that amongs other things this wouldn't take the psychological background into account.

Not sure whether the poster meant in in this way, but I thought that was an interesting point he made: Does your gear make you feel more or less confident about your shooting? e.g. if you join a model workshop to learn some more about portrait photography, would it make you feel differently if you had a particular gear? Is there a percentage of confidence in the gear you carry?

What comes to mind is a scenario where I would certainly feel different with a Fuji X-E2 + 56/1.2 versus a Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR II kit lens. This might seem like an extreme comparison but the Nikon with it's 24Mpx sensor and a maximum ISO 25.600 is no slouch.

Is there a certain level from whereon confidence is fine, e.g. D800 vs 5DMKIII vs. Leica M240?

I currently use the above mentioned Fuji X-E2 with 4 primes and have no issues to play with the big boys, but would not feel that great about a NEX 5, 6 or 7 etc ...

So I admit that the gear I use makes a difference to me, I think this is mainly because of the interface and how the camera feels like an extension of my hand/eye coordination, but this might of course be seen as rather feeble excuses to get some fabulous toys on board.

Deed

Good gear can make you feel more confident in your shooting, without question.

For me it's a balance. Gear has to be good enough to start with. Gear can't be too expensive or "way beyond my abilities" in such a way that it's wasted on me. Otherwise I won't feel good about using it. If it's too expensive, I end up babying it too much and not 'roughing it' when I want to.

In the end I feel like I have never gotten the most of its abilities (or mine) while using expensive gear that is babied too much and perhaps bought without a full appreciation or experience to get the most out of it. So I don't like 'good gear' on that level. I have to have some context and see some reason to really use it, not just use it for the sake of 'confidence'.

Psychologically, having the 'right gear' or being in the right psychological state to at least think it is the right gear is very important in getting the most out of your shooting session. If you don't believe you have the 'right stuff' you are almost certainly going to be enjoying the shoot less and performing worse. Sometimes there are very valid reasons for thinking you don't have the right gear (and sometimes not) but both count!

In the end, it's YOUR confidence that matters, regardless of the means used to get it, and regardless of the logic used to get to it

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow