Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jaslid
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
X-E2 - halo effect at high contrast edges
4 months ago

Hello - been a lurker on these helpful forums for many years, with seldom much to say. But I have a question today...

I finally took the plunge and bought into the X-system just before Christmas, buying an X-E2 and 23mm f1.4. Coming from many years using bulky, heavy Nikon dSLRs, I've been delighted with my purchase.

However, today something came up I hadn't noticed before - maybe because it's the first time I've used the camera in sunny weather! High contrast edges (eg. red roof ridge tiles or brick chimney against bright blue sky) have an easily noticeable white halo - as if over-sharpened.

This is in both the OOC jpeg (default sharpening, etc) and even worse when working with RAWs in Lightroom. LR's B&W filter presets greatly exaggerate the issue.

Turning off any software sharpening doesn't remove the halo, and sharpening the image as required makes it very obvious at 100%. It's also evident at all lens apertures. The only solution I've found today is trialling Iridient Developer - which is cleaner than the OOC jpegs! But like many, I am familiar with and prefer the workflow of LR.

I should add that the halo is evident even with zero sharpening in LR.

100% cropped examples (though the compression when uploading here appears to hide the problem). Look at the right edge and around the lightning conductors:

Out of camera JPEG - default settings

RAW in Lightroom - sharpening applied

RAW in Lightroom - B&W Yellow Filter & sharpening applied

My question/concern is, is this a 'feature' of the X-trans sensor or have I got an issue with my camera?

Thanks for reading.

-- hide signature --

Jason

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow