ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,900Gear list
Like?
Importance of gear ...
4 months ago

... from a psychological perspective.

I was reading a thread on the Leica forum stating that gear doesn't matter. One of the first posters to respond suggested that amongs other things this wouldn't take the psychological background into account.

Not sure whether the poster meant in in this way, but I thought that was an interesting point he made: Does your gear make you feel more or less confident about your shooting? e.g. if you join a model workshop to learn some more about portrait photography, would it make you feel differently if you had a particular gear? Is there a percentage of confidence in the gear you carry?

What comes to mind is a scenario where I would certainly feel different with a Fuji X-E2 + 56/1.2 versus a Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR II kit lens. This might seem like an extreme comparison but the Nikon with it's 24Mpx sensor and a maximum ISO 25.600 is no slouch.

Is there a certain level from whereon confidence is fine, e.g. D800 vs 5DMKIII vs. Leica M240?

I currently use the above mentioned Fuji X-E2 with 4 primes and have no issues to play with the big boys, but would not feel that great about a NEX 5, 6 or 7 etc ...

So I admit that the gear I use makes a difference to me, I think this is mainly because of the interface and how the camera feels like an extension of my hand/eye coordination, but this might of course be seen as rather feeble excuses to get some fabulous toys on board.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D3300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow