So Long Fuji

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
nostatic
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Re: Gone the Other Way...
In reply to Peter Sills, 9 months ago

Peter Sills wrote:

Interesting post, especially as I've gone the other way.

I have a GREAT relationship with Sony. In fact I had the NEX-7 prior to release and took it on an assignment to Cuba. Sony wrote an article about it using my photos. No doubt Sony makes good cameras.

Why switch to Fuji?

Sony doesn't understand photography, and I can tell you they probably never will. Their saving grace is video and the focus in development is heavily in that direction. Look at their camera designs. Their color balance is favored towards video and their control scheme's are designed by the same people who design their camcorders. While their lens selection and quality is poor, I don't ever expect it to reach Fuji levels. Sony rely upon third-parties to fulfill ths for them. Also, due to their camera design, while the camera may be smaller than a standard DSLR, their lenses will be quite similar in size, ergo very little benefit to the system overall.

In the end, for me, it comes down to image quality, and Sony just doesn't have it. Look, if you want detail, buy a used Pentax 645D. The prices are about to plummet as the new one comes out. However, I lost faith in Sony's ability to compete in the future and to produce a quality product aimed at serious photographers.

I am a recent convert to the A7r, in order to solve some very specific shooting goals (good low light handheld stills, room to crop aggressively, occasionally print big, grab video as well). I've still got a 6D in the drawer that my wife occasionally uses (big, heavy, video is a pita wrt focus), as well as a GH3 (mostly for video). Used to be firmly in u4/3 for most things but there is a limit to how much you can push the system and the files.

I've been watching Fuji for a few years now, and they do some things quite right. They have a great set of glass. The XT1 is the first body that has really interested me, as despite shooting film back in the 70's, I'm now more of a "tweener" - dedicated manual dials don't speak to me, but neither do touch screens (at least on a camera). After trying the XT1 and comparing it - under my conditions and in my hands - my A7r and RX1r are staying. Sorry, but the Fuji image just isn't up to that level - again, for what I'm doing. It certainly looks better than the u4/3 files, but I'd expect that.

As for lenses, the 55/1.8 is fantastic, and frankly I could just keep that on the A7r, carry the RX1r (at 35mm) and call it good. But again - totally depends on what/how you soot. If you need other glass, then native FE is limited right now. But you can adapt almost any lens made and I've seen guys getting great results with Leica, Zeiss, Canon, etc glass.

No right solution for everyone. Fuji does seem to "get it", but that "it" won't necessarily be the right choice for everyone. Just like Sony certainly isn't the right choice for everyone. While some love to trot out the "learn to shoot instead of buying gear" line, for most here it is a hobby and the hobby should be a mix of work/practice and fun. And if someone wants to switch systems and try something new - more power to them. Life is short and you're dead a long time. If moving to a different system makes you grin, then go for it. If you can't afford it, then shoot what you've got and smile. No wrong answer...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow