Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A77 vs A99 for Concert Photography
In reply to K E Hoffman, 4 months ago

Hi,

$1200 is a great deal on an A99.

Check its shutter count. at http://tools.science.si/index.php

As to noise...  and this shot.

Its way underexposed.. and NO you can't fix it in LR if you are someone who is really worried about some noise / grain because under exposure means low signal.. so when you fix the exposure you magnify the low signal and the noise too.

Also if this looks better on your monitor.. Calibrate your monitor.. Its way to dark on mine and mine is calibrate and its way to dark.

Slow the shutter down.... Its a 70mm lens.. and you have IBIS so the shots should be fine.  Now yes you may get come motion blur of the performers.  Take hundreds of shots.. you may well find the shots that show the most life.. are ones where you get the face sharp but there is motion blur elsewhere.  Stopping action is not always the most creative way to shoot action.

If you are not sure.. Bracket each shot

Finally,

If you get the A99

Get the exposure right.

Realize your faster lenses will not have the same magnification, and if you start cropping tighter on the A99.. You will lose some of the Noise Reduction you get from scaling and the difference in noise from the A77 will go down some.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

I don't understand the last paragraph. I get that it is full frame and won't have the same focal length, but what do you mean about the noise reduction?

c0nstrictor's gear list:c0nstrictor's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow