Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,945Gear list
Like?
long macro lens? Pentax vs. Tamron
9 months ago

Love my 35mm macro, and have been toying for a while with the idea of busting out of my comfort zone with a telephoto prime.  What about combining the two with a macro tele?  With B+H's current deep discount, the cost of the Pentax D FA 100m f/2.8 WR macro is much closer to the cost of the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro than usual.

I can read reviews of both lenses, of course, but I'm wondering about what they are like to live with. How are they to touch and handle?  What are their strong points and weak points?  Which one, if either, is the stronger all-around lens? (I would have to use this lens for general telephoto work and not as a dedicated macro.)

Or is 90/100mm going to be too long for someone who prefers to linger closer to the field of view of the human eye, and should I therefore give up the macro and look at the 70 or 77mm Limiteds for a little more reach?

(B+H could have made my life so much easier by offering a corresponding discount on the silver FA 43 which is next on my list ...)

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow