Image stabilization: really necessary to turn off?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Image stabilization: really necessary to turn off?
7 months ago

This was triggered by another, current thread.

The old adage is to turn off image stabilization when the camera is mounted on a tripod or when shutter speeds are sufficiently fast (whatever that means). However, different IS mechanisms behave differently. For example, Canon has some (modern) lenses that are not plagued by the OIS introducing vibrations when the lens is mounted on a tripod.

I have just done a quick-and-dirty test with my Fuji 55-200mm lens, mounted on a tripod (focal length 200mm, 1/3 sec shutter speed, 10 sec delay), and found no significant differences between two shots with OIS on and off, respectively.

This test is of course far from exhaustive, and I may do some more tests when I have time, but that's enough for me to toss out the question whether anyone has done thorough tests to verify that it is indeed necessary to turn off OIS with the Fuji XF lenses. Anybody has any images to support the notion that the OIS introduces vibrations? If so, under what circumstances? To preempt some potential issues: when you submit images, please make sure they were taken with enough of a delay for the camera/tripod to settle down after the shutter release was pressed.

Getting to the bottom of this should be quite helpful.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow