Sony A77 vs A99 for Concert Photography

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,756Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A77 vs A99 for Concert Photography
In reply to c0nstrictor, 9 months ago

c0nstrictor wrote:

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, but I am not a new forumer, nor am I a "new" (new) photographer I started just around a year ago, but quickly moved up from an A57 to an A77, and my skills have been rapidly improving ever since. I have now gotten into concert photography, and after shooting a couple concerts with my A77, I have started to see some problems with it. It's a great camera, but the high ISO noise is pretty high, even with some post production (of course I shoot in RAW! ). I have been thinking about getting an A99 even before I got the A77, but didn't have the money at the time. I am now working harder and am seriously thinking about getting the A99 and selling the A77 to get that rich, low high ISO noise.

So I have come to question you about this endeavor. Should I get the A99 and sell the A77? Is it really that worth it? I can get one used for around $1200, which would mean I would have to sell the A77 and some other stuff (I'm guessing all the gear I am selling should cost around $1000-$1200), and take out a "loan" from my parents (by the way, I'm 16). I have done a ton of research, but what do you guys think about having an A99 over an A77? Thanks!

Wow, thats a really good deal. At that price I think most people would go buy a second A99 lol. Regardless even if you have found a such a good deal, a new A77 sells for $650-ish. I wouldn't pay any more than $600-700 used in the UK so in the US it would be like $500? So I don't know what other stuff you wish to sell to make up the money.

Now I was given some good advice recently by a forum member who told me not to borrow money from parents. This didn't particularly apply to me as I don't need to borrow to pay for my gear, I just have less liquid cash, if need be I can liquidise it. I would advice against borrowing money from your parents especially when you are calling it a "loan". Also how do you plan on funding the lenses that are expensive on a FF camera? Also you get less reach with your lenses.

Otherwise, I would pick A99 over A77 any day, I moved directly to A99 from A57 because I found a good deal. But regardless the price difference between the two cameras are huge. For a 16 year old I think having A77 is a big deal let alone A99. You can get a lot of use from your A77.

What do I think personally - its a great camera and if you can pay the price then go get it and you'll be happy. But it will not by any mean improve your image quality as only your skill will do that.

And here's a shot of a concert I was at (Dystopia @Toad's Place, CT) at ISO 2500, 70mm, f/2.8, 1/200th shutter speed to show how much the noise is visible, even with post noise reduction. (Any tips on noise reduction would be great too!)

EDIT: By the way, the image looks a little better on my computer in Lightroom, so try clicking on the image to get better quality)

Your picture is underexposed.

Sorry if I came across too harsh but I was once a 16 year old and now a 24 year old. I am almost glad my parents didn't get me a DSLR (yes they could afford one easily) and I bought it with my own money. It means a lot more and I know how much every piece of my gear is worth and how much I need to work for it.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow